[openstack-dev] The end of OpenStack packages in Debian?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Feb 16 16:55:13 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2017-02-15 13:43:46 +0100:
> All this to say that, unless someone wants to hire me for it (which
> would be the best outcome, but I fear this wont happen), or if someone
> steps in (this seems unlikely at this point), both the packaging-deb and
> the faith of OpenStack packages in Debian are currently compromised.
>
> I will continue to maintain OpenStack Newton during the lifetime of
> Debian Stretch though, but I don't plan on doing anything more. This
> means that maybe, Newton will be the last release of OpenStack in
> Debian. If things continue this way, I probably will ask for the removal
> of all OpenStack packages from Debian Sid after Stretch gets released
> (unless I know that someone will do the work).

Thomas, thanks for all your hard work. I hope you can return to it soon
and that this serves as a notice that we need more investment to keep
OpenStack viable in Debian and Ubuntu.

Can I propose that we start to move some of the libraries and things
like OpenStack Client into DPMT/DPAT?  They don't require constant
attention, and it will be helpful to have a larger team assisting in
the packaging where it doesn't require anything OpenStack specific to
keep moving forward.