[openstack-dev] [all] Do we need service types at all?! (Re: [octavia][sdk] service name for octavia)

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:14:12 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Andrey Kurilin <akurilin at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Yes, I forgot about it. But it changes nothing.
> Custom implementation of particular service should cover the same API as an
> official one. For me, as for user, it doesn't metter if there is Keystone or
> MyAwesomeKeystone, I want just an service which implements Keystone
> functionality.

Actually it is the name field that we really do not need, nor want.
Its continued existence is mostly driven by a desire by deployers to
brand their services, nothing should currently be using to as a
selector.  The type field is what (should be) used in places like the
base URL for services under a combined endpoint (ie,
host/compute/v2.1/...) on a single port.  For any alternate
implementations of a service that a deployer wants to take the place
of an OpenStack service this is how that is done seamlessly, no lying
about the name like the browser User-Agent header nonsense.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com