[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Fwd: TripleO mascot - how can I help your team?

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Feb 16 12:36:08 UTC 2017

On 02/15/2017 07:54 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> At the high level all of this sounds like a fine grand plan: "Help
> projects create mascots" with a common theme. On the ground level I can
> tell you it feels a lot more like you are crushing the spirit of
> creativity and motivation for some of us.

Haven't we had this argument on the tech side enough? Do we have to have
it all over again just because there are some illustrators and
foundation staff involved?

We KEEP deciding as a community that we value cohesion for OpenStack
over individual projects having unlimited freedom to do whatever they
heck they want. This is no different. There are now a set of
logos/mascots that exist within a common visual language. Neat!

> What's in a mascot? I dunno. Call it a force of motivation. Call it
> team building. In fact, one of the first things I did as PTL of TripleO
> was create a mascot for the project. Perhaps not officially... but
> there was agreement among those in the project. And we liked the little
> guy. And he grew on us. And we even iterated on him a bit and made him
> better.

Yah - I hear that. But once again, if the project is "OpenStack" and not
just TripleO - that's exactly what's going on here. And the project _is_
OpenStack. That's what we're here to do, that's what we work on, that's
what we are members of a Foundation to support. Not TripleO, not Infra,
not Nova. This isn't the Oslo Foundation or the Ironic consortium. It's
OpenStack.

That means, for exactly the reasons you list, that it's important. It's
important to underscore and bolster the fact that we are One OpenStack.

> ----
>
> 6 months or so ago we were presented with a new owl from the
> foundation... which had almost none of the same qualities as the
> original. Many of us took a survey about that and provided feedback,
> but I haven't found anyone who was really happy with it. Consensus was
> we liked the originals. Sometimes sticking with your roots is a good
> thing.
>
> I happened to be off yesterday but I was really discouraged to read
> that the team is now convinced we have to adopt your version of the
> owl: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tripleo/2017/tripleo.2017-
> 02-14-14.00.log.html
>
> This all sounds like we are being "steamrolled" into using the new owl
> because things have to align. I'm not asking that you use our owl on
> your website. But if you want to... then great. I think it is possible
> to show that things work together without forcing them all to have the
> same mascot styles:
>  https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about

Except that we are not the linux foundation. The linux foundation IS a
loose confederation of unrelated projects that happen to share a legal
parent entity. The LF does great work on behalf of those projects - but
that is not what we are.

> But I do think the OpenStack Foundation has overstated its case here
> and should reverse track a bit. Make it *clear* that projects can keep
> their own version of their mascots. In fact I think the foundation
> should encourage them to do so (keep the originals). The opposite seems
> be happening on several projects like TripleO and Ironic.
>
> P.S. vintage TripleO owl "beany babies" would be super cool

Totally. Make a vintage beanine - that's an awesome idea. I'd wear one.
I've been considering trying to figure out how to make another "What the
F**k is OpenStack?" shirt because mine is dying. The past is cool. But
Dopenstack isn't the present - and honestly that's a good thing. So keep
a sense of nostalgia for the old owl ... but I do NOT think the
foundation should 'encourage' projects to 'keep' their originals. The
foundation is expressing that they cannot FORCE a project to do anything
- they do not have that power. But maybe alignment is a thing that can
happen without anyone forcing anyone else to do it?

It IS important for things to align. It IS important that we have a
sense of cohesion. Literally 100% of the cases where team individuality
has been placed over membership in the larger effort of OpenStack have
wound up being the source of discord and strife.

There is nothing stopping the existence of other art - it's art - it's
unstoppable! I don't expect John's sister to stop making swift shirts
(at least I certainly hope not). I don't expect to stop wearing them
because they're all amazing. But that can happen in parallel, and as a
group we can also embrace our official mascots too, in solidarity with
the other 3000 developers we fight the Open Source Cloud battle with on
a daily basis.

This doesn't have to be either/or and it doesn't have to be us vs. them.
It's ok to conform sometimes. This is definitely one of those times.