[openstack-dev] [all] Do we need service types at all?! (Re: [octavia][sdk] service name for octavia)

Andrey Kurilin akurilin at mirantis.com
Thu Feb 16 10:55:43 UTC 2017

Hi everyone!

When I started contribution to OpenStack long time ago, I asked about the
reason of having two entities - service type and name; at that time I got
an answer that service name is a name of the project that implements
particular service type, so it is possible to have several projects which
implement one service type. That answer satisfied me.

The reality of OpenStack is that there is no and there will not be several
implementations of one "service type". Even when we had nova-net and
neutron, only the neutron registered his service in the catalog.

An example of Octavia shows that everybody was ok about having service name
equal with type before inconsistency was found. That is why I want to ask
again: Do we need two separate entities and if yes - why? Maybe service
name and description fields should be enough?

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Qiming Teng <tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> When reviewing a recent patch that adds openstacksdk support to octavia,
> I found that octavia is using 'octavia' as its service name instead of
> 'loadbalancing' or 'loadbalancingv2' or something similar.
>
> The overall suggestion is to use a word/phrase that indicates what a
> service do instead of the name of the project providing that service.
>
> Below is the list of the service types currently supported by
> openstacksdk:
>
>     'alarming',    # aodh
>     'baremetal',   # ironic
>     'clustering',  # senlin
>     'compute',     # nova
>     'database',    # trove
>     'identity',    # keystone
>     'image',       # glance
>     'key-manager', # barbican
>     'messaging',   # zaqar
>     'metering',    # ceilometer
>     'network',     # neutron
>     'object-store',   # swift
>     'octavia',        # <--- this is an exception
>     'orchestration',  # heat
>     'volume',         # cinder
>     'workflowv2',     # mistral
>
> While I believe this has been discussed about a year ago, I'm not sure
> if there are things we missed so I'm brining this issue to a broader
> audience for discussion.
>
> Reference:
>
> [1] Patch to python-openstacksdk:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428414