[openstack-dev] [storlets][swift][mascot] Storlets mascot

Doron Chen CDORON at il.ibm.com
Thu Feb 16 09:35:47 UTC 2017

Hi,
Of these five options, I like sloth the best.
Please also consider the stork -- the closest-sounding animal.
Storklets...
Doron

From:   Eran Rom <eran at itsonlyme.name>
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Date:   16/02/2017 11:11 AM
Subject:        [openstack-dev] [storlets][swift][mascot] Storlets mascot

So the hard work getting into the big-tent was worth it!

While the storlets team should have the final word, I will be very happy
if the Swift community helped us in the process.

Below are few options I have thought about.
Comments / other suggestions are mostly welcome!

Thanks very much,
Eran

1. Hummingbird. Works hard to stay put in the air. Storlets make the CPU
to work so that data stays in place (and its a bird) Is that a conflict
with the go-lang effort?
2. Sloth. Does not move much. Storlets aim at not moving the data
3. Thinking Monkey (as e.g. here:
https://philosaccounting.com/a/humor/thinkers-anonymous/). We all want to
look smart.
4. Bat upside down. Bring the compute to the data rather then the other
way around.
5. pied stilt (see e.g. http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/pied-stilt).
For its elegance :-) (and for being a bird)