[openstack-dev] The end of OpenStack packages in Debian?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Feb 15 23:45:18 UTC 2017

On 02/15/2017 07:11 PM, Ondrej Novy wrote:
> Hi,

> <mailto:thomas at goirand.fr>>:
>
>     Over the last few months, I hoped for having enough strengths to
>     continue my packaging work anyway, and get Ocata packages done. But
>     that's not what happened. The biggest reason for this is that I know
>     that this needs to be a full time job.
>

> as second most active openstack-pkg team contributor
> (http://blends.debian.net/liststats/uploaders_pkg-openstack.png) I think
> this not needs to be full time job, but we need more maintainers.

Definitively, we need more maintainers, but it's not happening.

>     If things continue this way, I probably will ask for the removal
>     of all OpenStack packages from Debian Sid after Stretch gets released
>     (unless I know that someone will do the work).
>

> please don't ask anyone to remove __team maintained__ packages.

If the team stays inactive, for sure, I will ask for removal.

>     As a consequence, the following projects wont get packages even in
>     Ubuntu (as they were "community maintained", which means done by me and
>     later sync into Ubuntu...):
>
> done by team, not (only) you.
>
> I know you done most of packaging work, but please don't say: I'm only
> one who did OS packaging. That's not fair to other contributors.

Yes, you've done some work, and many thanks for it, it has been very
useful. However the reality is: since I stopped after the Newton
release, absolutely no work has been done to package Ocata in Debian. At
this point in the OpenStack dev cycle, normally it should have been
fully uploaded *AND* tested against tempest.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)