[openstack-dev] The end of OpenStack packages in Debian?

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Wed Feb 15 16:48:39 UTC 2017

On 02/15/2017 07:42 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I will continue to maintain OpenStack Newton during the lifetime of
> Debian Stretch though, but I don't plan on doing anything more. This
> means that maybe, Newton will be the last release of OpenStack in
> Debian. If things continue this way, I probably will ask for the removal
> of all OpenStack packages from Debian Sid after Stretch gets released
> (unless I know that someone will do the work).

I'm happy to volunteer for this. TBH, my goal would be to minimize the
delta on these packages to Ubuntu's versions of the packages, so we can
maintain them collaboratively. But, there's certainly no need to drop
the packages from Debian.

> As a consequence, the following projects wont get packages even in
> Ubuntu (as they were "community maintained", which means done by me and
> later sync into Ubuntu...):
>
> - congress
> - gnocchi
> - magnum
> - mistral
> - murano
> - sahara
> - senlin
> - watcher
> - zaqar

These are more "nice to have" packages, not really critical. We can ask
around to see if anyone is using the packaged versions, but if not we
should just drop them from Debian.

> Hopefully, Canonical will continue to maintain the other 15 (more
> core...) projects in UCA.

Canonical doesn't have a large team for this work, but I imagine we can
handle it just fine between their team and a few volunteers.

Allison