[openstack-dev] [tc][glance][glare][all] glance/glare/artifacts/images at the PTG

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sun Feb 12 17:40:05 UTC 2017

Although there has not been much discussion on this point on the mailing list, I feel we do need to find the right level of granularity for ‘mainstream’ projects:

For CERN, we look for the following before offering a project to our end users:

- Distro packaging (in our case RPMs through RDO)
- Puppet modules
- Openstack client support (which brings Kerberos/X.509 authentication)
- Install, admin and user docs
- Project diversity for long term sustainability

We have many use cases of ‘resellers’ where one project provides a deliverable for others to consume, some degree of community image sharing is arriving and these are the same problems to face for artefacts and application catalogues (such as Heat and Magnum).

For me, which project provides this for images and/or artefacts is a choice for the technical community but consistent semantics would be greatly appreciated for those discussions with our end users such as “I need a Heat template for X but this needs community image Y and the visibility rules means that one needs to be shared in advance, the other I need to subscribe to” are difficult discussion which discourages uptake.

A cloud user should be able to click on community offered ‘R-as-a-Service’ in the application catalog GUI, and that’s all.

Tim