[openstack-dev] Hierarchical quotas at the PTG?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Sun Feb 12 00:46:24 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 02:56:56PM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Operators want hierarchical quotas [1]. Nova doesn't have them yet and we've
> been hesitant to invest scarce developer resources in them since we've heard
> that the implementation for hierarchical quotas in Cinder has some issues.
> But it's unclear to some (at least me) what those issues are.
>
> Has anyone already planned on talking about hierarchical quotas at the PTG,
> like the architecture work group?
>
> I know there was a bunch of razzle dazzle before the Austin summit about
> quotas, but I have no idea what any of that led to. Is there still a group
> working on that and can provide some guidance here?
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2017-January/012450.html

Cinder luckily had someone that was able to focus on fixing a lot of the quota
issues for at least one cycle. As far as I can tell, it's at least passably
working at this point. But I also don't think our test coverage, nor end user
usage, is extensive enough at this point to know with some certainty that it
really is in good shape.

A lot of the discussion around that has actually been about getting it out of
Cinder and into a common library or service so that hierarchical quota usage
and encforcement is done in a consistent way across all projects. There was a
group working on this, with weekly meeting IIRC, but that unfortunately also
appears to have fizzled out.