[openstack-dev] [designate] Status of the project

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Feb 11 16:18:09 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2017-02-10 11:07:29 -0800:
> Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> > I'd say kube-dns and designate are very different technologies.
> >
> > kube-dns is a service discovery mechanism for kubernetes intend to provide internal k8s resolution. The fact it uses dns to implement service discovery is kind of an implementation detail, not its primary purpose. There's no need for private dns management, scaling past the size of the k8s cluster itself, etc. A much easier problem to solve at the moment.
> >
> > Designate really is a multitenant dns as a service implementation. While it can be used for service discovery, its not its primary purpose.
> >
> > I see no reason they couldn't share some common pieces, but care should be given not to just say, lets throw out one for the other, as they really are different animals.
> >

> Arg, the idea wasn't meant to be that (abandon one for the other), but
> just to investigate the larger world and maybe we have to adapt our
> model of `multitenant dns as a service implementation` to be slightly
> different; so what..., if it means we get to keep contributors and grow
> a larger community (and partner with others and learn new things and
> adopt new strategies/designs and push the limits of tech and ...) by
> doing so then that's IMHO good.

Perhaps Designate could go looking for a larger community outside of
OpenStack. One of the problems with tightly integrating in the OpenStack
paradigm is that we only see our way of thinking. For instance, we have
a access to a user base without trying since OpenStack users will always
look for an OpenStack project first. But there may very well be users
out there who do have multi-tenant DNS needs, but they don't want
Keystone et.al.

With a few tweaks, any service provider that doesn't have a good DNSaaS
but needs one, multi or single tenant, could have Designate, and that
would invite quite a bit more contribution.

I have no idea what the potential community size is, but it sounds like
"not 0", and given that it sounds like Designate just needs a couple
more active developers, so perhaps it's worth socializing externally.