[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova] Next minimum libvirt version

gustavo panizzo gfa at zumbi.com.ar
Sat Feb 11 01:28:34 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 05:42:26PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 05:29:22PM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > Since danpb hasn't been around I've sort of forgotten about this, but we
> > should talk about bumping the minimum required libvirt version in nova.
> >
> > Currently it's 1.2.1 and the next was set to 1.2.9.
> >
> > On master we're gating on ubuntu 14.04 which has libvirt 1.3.1 (14.04 had
> > 1.2.2).
> >
> > If we move to require 1.2.9 that effectively kills 14.04 support for
> > devstack + libvirt on master, which is probably OK.
> >
> > There is also the distro support wiki [1] which hasn't been updated in
> > awhile.
> >
> > I'm wondering if 1.2.9 is a safe move for the next required minimum version
> > and if so, does anyone have ideas on the next required version after that?
>
> I think libvirt 1.2.9 is absolutely fine as a next version. It is still
> ancient history comparatively speaking.
>
> The more difficult question is what happens after that. To go further than
> that effectively requires dropping Debian as a supportable platform since
> AFAIK, they never rebase libvirt & next Debian major release is still
> unannounced.  So the question is whether "stock" Debian is something the
> project cares about targetting or will the answer be that Debian users
> are required to pull in newer libvirt from elsewhere.
Debian 9.0 has been frozen, soon it will be released with libvirt 3.0.0
Previous release has 1.2.9

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libvirt0&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

> Also, it is just as important to consider minimum QEMU versions at the
> same time, though it could just be set to the lowest common denominator
> across distros that remain, after choosing the libvirt version.

Qemu version for the next release is 2.8, previous release is 2.1

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=qemu&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

> Regards,
> Daniel
> --
> |: http://berrange.com      -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
> |: http://libvirt.org              -o-             http://virt-manager.org :|
> |: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|

1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: https://keybase.io/gfa