[openstack-dev] [ironic][qa][grenade] Release blocked on grenade job not testing from newton

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Feb 9 14:02:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Jim Rollenhagen <jim at jimrollenhagen.com>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Ironic plans to release Ocata this week, once we have a couple small
> patches
> and a release note cleanup landed.
>
> However, our grenade job is now testing master->master, best I can tell.
> This
> is pretty clearly due to this d-s-g commit:
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/commit/
> 9c752b02fbd57c7021a7c9295bf4d68a0d1973a8
>
> Evidence:
>
> * it appears to be checking out a change on master into the old side:
>   http://logs.openstack.org/44/354744/10/check/gate-grenade-
> dsvm-ironic-ubuntu-xenial/4b395ff/logs/grenade.sh.txt.
> gz#_2017-02-09_07_15_32_979
>
> * and somewhat coincidentally, our grenade job seems to be broken when
> master
>   (ocata) is on the old side, because we now select instance images in our
>   devstack plugin:
>   http://logs.openstack.org/44/354744/10/check/gate-grenade-
> dsvm-ironic-ubuntu-xenial/4b395ff/logs/grenade.sh.txt.
> gz#_2017-02-09_08_07_10_946
>
> So, we're currently blocking the ironic release on this, as obviously we
> don't
> want to release if we don't know upgrades work. As I see it, we have two
>
> 1) Somehow fix devstack-gate and configure our jobs in project-config such
> that
> this job upgrades newton->master. I might need some help on navigating this
> one.
>
> 2) Make our grenade job non-voting for now, release 7.0.0 anyway, and
> immediately make sure that the stable/ocata branch runs grenade as
> expected and
> passes. If it isn't passing, fix what we need to and cut 7.0.1 ASAP.

After talking to Doug and Sean on IRC, I think this is the best
option. We don't necessarily need to make it non-voting if we
can fix it quickly (Vasyl is working on this already).

We still have a week to release from the Ocata branch if we need
to get more things in. They'll just need to go through the backport
process.

// jim