[openstack-dev] [oslo][oslo.db] MySQL Cluster support

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 14:41:11 UTC 2017

On 02/02/2017 05:28 PM, Octave J. Orgeron wrote:
> That refers to the total length of the row. InnoDB has a limit of 65k
> and NDB is limited to 14k.
>
> A simple example would be the volumes table in Cinder where the row
> length goes beyond 14k. So in the IF logic block, I change columns types
> that are vastly oversized such as status and attach_status, which by
> default are 255 chars.

let me give you a tip on IF blocks, that they are a bit of an
anti-pattern.  If you want a column type to do one thing in one case,
and another in another case, create an object that does the thing you want:

some_table = Table(
     'some_table', metadata,
     Column('my_column', VARCHAR(255).with_variant(VARCHAR(50), 'ndb'))
)

I think we might want to look into creating a stub dialect called 'ndb'
that subclasses mysql+pymysql.   Treating ndb as a whole different
database means there's no longer the need for a flag in oslo.db, the
'ndb' name would instead be interpreted as a new backend - the main
thing would be ensuring all the mysql-appropriate hooks in oslo.db are
also emitted for ndb, but this also gives us a way to pick and choose
which hooks apply.   It seems like there may be enough different about
it to separate it at this level.

Not sure if people on the list are seeing that we are simultaneously
talking about getting rid of Postgresql in the efforts to support only
"one database", while at the same time adding one that is in many ways a
new database.

So to determine a more appropriate size, I look