[openstack-dev] [Cinder] BlockDeviceDriver deprecated?

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 10:23:59 UTC 2017

On 03/02, Pieter Baele wrote:
> Red Hat tells me the Cinder BlockDeviceDriver is going to be deprecated
> upstream. It isn't supported in RHOSP in any case.
> Is this true?

Yes, that is correct, it's in the release notes:

 https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/releasenotes/notes/deprecate-block-device-driver-d30232547a31fe1e.yaml

> Bakground information:
> BDD is one of the things I would have used for important HDFS DataNodes in
> a private cloud.
> Red Hat proposes Ceph, but running a replicated HDFS on top of Ceph RBD
> which also replicated.....?
>
> So my only option left is bare-metal Hadoop DataNodes (?)

The first thing that would come to mind in this case would be to remove
the replication from one of the 2 filesystems, since both of them allow
this:

 - You can create the ceph pool for the volumes with a replication size
   of 1
 - Set your HDFS file replication to 1

I haven't done tests or analyzed your specific case, so I wouldn't be
able to say which one is the most appropriate for your case.

You could always go with LVM nodes, although I'm not sure that's such a
great idea; and you probably already know that Red Hat doesn't support
it for production environments, as it's only approved for PoC
deployments.

Cheers,
Gorka.