[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:40:40 UTC 2017

> Greetings OpenStack community,
>
> In today's meeting [0] after briefly covering old business we spent nearly
> 50 minutes going round in circles discussing the complex interactions of
> expectations of API stability, the need to fix bugs and the costs and
> benefits of microversions. We didn't make a lot of progress on the general
> issues, but we did #agree that a glance issue [4] should be treated as a
> code bug (not a documentation bug) that should be fixed. In some ways this
> position is not aligned with the ideal presented by stability guidelines but
> it is aligned with an original goal of the API-WG: consistency. It's unclear
> how to resolve this conflict, either in this specific instance or in the
> guidelines that the API-WG creates. As stated in response to one of the
> related reviews [5]: "If bugs like this don't get fixed properly in the
> code, OpenStack risks going down the path of Internet Explorer and people
> wind up writing client code to the bugs and that way lies madness."

I am not sure the code change can avoid the madness.
If we change the success status code (200 ->204) without any version
bumps, OpenStack clouds return different status codes on the same API
operations.
That will break OpenStack interoperability and clients' APPs need to
be changed for accepting 204 also as success operation.
That could make APPs code mudness.
I also think this is basically code bug, but this is hard to fix
because of big impact against the existing users.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi

---