[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer][postgresql][gate][telemetry] PostgreSQL gate failure (again)

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 15:33:23 UTC 2017

On 02/01/2017 10:22 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:

> I personally continue to be of the opinion that without an explicit
> vocal and well-staffed champion, supporting postgres is more trouble
> than it is worth. The vast majority of OpenStack deployments are on
> MySQL - and what's more, the code is written with MySQL in mind.
> Postgres and MySQL have different trade offs, different things each are
> good at and different places in which each has weakness. By attempting
> to support Postgres AND MySQL, we prevent ourselves from focusing
> adequate attention on making sure that our support for one of them is
> top-notch and in keeping with best practices for that database.
>
> So let me state my opinion slightly differently. I think we should
> support one and only one RDBMS backend for OpenStack, and we should open
> ourselves up to use advanced techniques for that backend. I don't
> actually care whether that DB is MySQL or Postgres - but the corpus of
> existing deployments on MySQL and the existing gate jobs I think make
> the choice one way or the other simple.

well, let me blow your mind and agree, but noting that this means, *we
drop SQLite also*.   IMO every openstack developer should have
MySQL/MariaDB running on their machine and that is part of what runs if
you expect to run database-related unit tests.   Targeting just one
database is very handy but if you really want to use the features
without roadblocks, you need to go all the way.