[openstack-dev] [QA][Nova]Libvirt frequent crashes on Ubuntu Xenial

Jordan Pittier jordan.pittier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:18:03 UTC 2017

Hi,
After investigating several gate failures and thanks to logstash, I
found out that Libvirtd often crashes badly on Ubuntu Xenial. I know
of 3 distinct crashes, with the following fingerprints in syslog.txt

* libvirtd: malloc.c:3720: _int_malloc: Assertion `(unsigned long)
(size) >= (unsigned long) (nb)' failed.
13 hits in the last 7 days. Somewhat reported in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1646779

* traps: libvirtd[14731] general protection ip:7f2249691c4e
sp:7ffd2c223d70 error:0 in libc-2.23.so[7f2249610000+1bf000]
92 hits in the last 7 days. Somewhat reported in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1646779

* *** Error in `/usr/sbin/libvirtd': malloc(): memory corruption:
0x000055d6a8375ca0 ***
100 hits in the last 7 days. Somewhat reported in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1643911

Now, depending on how quick systemd detects these crashes and restart
libvirtd, not all of these hits lead to a job failure.

My C language skill is very low, and this is too low level for me to
track. But there's definitively something wrong that should be looked
after here. If anyone has some free cycles, that would be interesting
to track.

Cheers,
Jordan