[openstack-dev] [cinder] Cinder with remote LVM proposal

Marco Marino marino.mrc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 10:48:06 UTC 2017

Hi, I'd like to know if it is possible to use openstack-cinder-volume with
a remote LVM. This could be a new feature proposal if the idea is good.
More precisely, I'm thinking a solution where openstack-cinder-volume runs
on a dedicated node and LVM on another node (called "storage node").  On
the storage node I need to have a volume group (normally named
cinder-volumes) and the targetcli package, so the iscsi_ip_address in
cinder.conf should be an address associated with the storage node.
Advantages of this solution are: 1) When I need to upgrade openstack I can
leave out the storage node from the process (because it has only LVM and
targetcli or another daemon used for iscsi targets). 2) Down on the
cinder-volume node cannot creates problems to the iscsi part exposed to
vms. 3) Support to the open source world in cinder: LVM is the common
solution for cinder in low budget environment but performance are good if
the storage node is powerful enough

In my idea, the "interface" between openstack-cinder-volume and lvm can be
SSH. Basically we need to create/remove/manage logical volumes on a remote
node and the same for the iscsi targets

Please, let me know if this can be a valid solution.

Thank you
Marco