[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

McLellan, Steven steve.mclellan at hpe.com
Wed Dec 20 23:57:42 UTC 2017

On 12/20/17, 5:29 PM, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 12/20/2017 3:21 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
    > On 12/20/2017 9:30 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
    >> To answer the question from your other mail about user-space
    >> notifications:
    >>
    >>> We (Zaqar team) have been asked many times about this area but without a
    >>> support from more services, it's hard. I know Heat has some best
    >>> practice using Zaqar, is it possible to "copy" it to
    >>> Nova/Cinder/Neutron?
    >>
    >> Sure, it would be dead easy, but Nova cores have made it abundantly
    >> clear that under no circumstances would they ever accept any code like
    >> this in Nova. Hence it's on this list.
    >
    > Again, this is news to me. Why isn't this proposed as a community-wide
    > goal for Rocky?
    >
    > And if it would be dead easy, why aren't we trying to get part time or
    > new contributors to work on this, like OSIC was for awhile around the
    > time of the Austin summit?

    Now I know.

    http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-12-20.log.html#t2017-12-20T21:46:11

    --

Since in that IRC conversation ceilometer's notification consumer was mentioned: there was some prototype work done on this (publishing messages to Zaqar off the notification bus to Zaqar) by Lei Zhang in the searchlight codebase - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/271958/. It would be reasonably straightforward to add a service to Zaqar to consume messages off the bus, and I would imagine that it's going to be easier in terms of getting things done to take the notifications (which are a well established format and mechanism) and the transformation to publish them in Zaqar than add a new component to all the individual services.

Steve