[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 15:30:37 UTC 2017

On 19/12/17 22:15, Fei Long Wang wrote:

> On 20/12/17 09:29, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> Zane Bitter wrote:
>>> Getting off-topic, but since you walked in to this one ;)

>>> * Providing a secure channel to get credentials to guests so that
>>> applications running on them can authenticate to OpenStack APIs.
>>>
>>> * Providing reliable, user-space notifications of events that may
>>> require application or application-operator intervention (e.g. VM
>>> reboot, hypervisor died, &c.).
>>
>> I'll add on.
>>
>> * Clear workflow state (and transition) 'machine' that is followed in
>> code and can be used by operators/others such as UI developers to get
>> a view on what nova is or is not doing (may fit under the broad topic
>> of observability?)
>>
>> Take for example
>> http://flower.readthedocs.io/en/latest/screenshots.html and ask
>> yourself why nova-compute (or nova-conductor or nova-scheduler...)
>> doesn't have an equivalent kind of 'viewer' (and no it doesn't need to
>> be flower, that's just an example...)
>>

> That's one of the changes we (at least me and Rob Cresswell) would like
> to improve in Horizon. The idea is services (Nova, Cinder, Nutron, etc)
> putting notifications into Zaqar queue and then Horizon can easily get
> the resources status instead of doing stupid polling. And it could be
> easily doing the thing shown on above link.

What you're talking about is really an expansion of my second item
above. What Josh means is using the taskflow library to co-ordinate all
of the steps involved internally to Nova to boot an instance
(scheduling, attaching volumes & ports, actually creating the VM, &c.) -
it's not really a user-space thing.

To answer the question from your other mail about user-space notifications:

> We (Zaqar team) have been asked many times about this area but without a
> support from more services, it's hard. I know Heat has some best
> practice using Zaqar, is it possible to "copy" it to Nova/Cinder/Neutron?

Sure, it would be dead easy, but Nova cores have made it abundantly
clear that under no circumstances would they ever accept any code like
this in Nova. Hence it's on this list.

cheers,
Zane.