[openstack-dev] [cyborg] minutes of FPGA introduction meeting
shaohe.feng at intel.com
Wed Dec 20 10:25:45 UTC 2017
Shaohe and Dolpher gave an introduction about FPGA.
They also do simple POC for FPGA base on Placement schedule and He
Yongli's PCI management mechanism in nova.
1. We define a new resource class CUSTOM_FPGA_INTEL_ECHO for a kind of
FPGA accelerator which is ECHO.
The Cyborg need to implement an interface to get the inventory, then to
update the provider inventory of placement whit it.
The Cyborg API need to get the inventory data by its FPGA agent running
on every node.
2. We need to extend related PCI info of CUSTOM_FPGA_INTEL_ECHO in the
PCI whitelist, so this kind of PCI device(CUSTOM_FPGA_INTEL_ECHO) can be
Cyborg needs to support to get the related PCI info.
3. we define a new property "resources:CUSTOM_FPGA_INTEL_ECHO='1' " in
Cyborg needs to translate abstract property to concrete device with PCI
The flow is:
Create a VM with a flavor which has a FPGA accelerator resource in it's
The scheduler will schedule a host with this kind of FPGA accelerator
base on the placement provider information. and claim an abstract
The nova-cpu will claim an related concrete PCI devices from the
abstract accelerator information.
The driver will start a VM with the PCI devices.
1. Should Cybory will leverage Yongli's PCI management mechanism in
nova? or it will maintain a new PCI management mechanism for PCI device?
2. beside, for VGPU accelerator, it is not a PCI device, it is a mdev
Should Cybory maintain this new kind device mechanism?
3. The FPGA can be programmed. So should the Cyborg update the
whitelist on the fly?
NOTE: the POC does not consider the how to program FPGA.
AR: Zhu Li will introduce how to cyborg FPGA model and agent.
More information about the OpenStack-dev