[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Dec 15 15:15:04 UTC 2017

On 12/14/2017 12:44 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> We can take stock of the intermediate releases over the last year, and make
> sure they all work together once a year. Chris Jones mentioned that we should
> give users time between milestones and release. I suggest we release an
> intermediary and _support it_. Let distros pick those up when they need to ship
> new features.

I don't think this will happen.

> Let users jump ahead for a few projects when they need the bug fixes.

And that, I don't agree. New releases aren't to fix bugs, bugs should be
fixed in stable too, otherwise you face new issues trying to get a
bugfix. And that's why we have stable.

> I understand the belief that nobody will run the intermediaries.

Not only that. Everyone is lagging a few release behind, and currently,
upstream OpenStack don't care backporting to older releases.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)