[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Dec 14 07:00:25 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Blair Bethwaite's message of 2017-12-14 17:44:53 +1100:
> On 14 December 2017 at 17:36, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> > The batch size for "upgrade the whole cloud" is too big. Let's help our
> > users advance components one at a time, and then we won't have to worry
> > so much about doing the whole integrated release dance so often.
>
> Is there any data about how operators approach this currently? Nectar
> (and I presume other large and/or loosely coordinated OpenStack
> clouds) has been running different projects across multiple versions
> for quite a while, sometimes 3 or 4 different versions. Coordinating
> upgrades in a federated cloud with distributed operations requires
> that we do this, e.g., our current Nova Newton upgrade has probably
> been in-train for a couple of months now.

That's interesting. Can you share what you mean by running 3 or 4
different versions?

Do you mean you mix versions in a single region, like, Pike keystone,
Ocata Nova, and Newton Neutron? Or do you mean you might have a region
running Pike, and another running Ocata, and another running Newton?