[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 02:59:55 UTC 2017

On 12/13/2017 4:20 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Is the "rush" at the end of the cycle still a thing those days ? From a
> release management perspective it felt like the pressure was reduced in
> recent cycles, with less and less FFEs. But that may be that PTLs have
> gotten better at denying them, not that the pressure is reduced now that
> we are past the hype peak...

Yes and no. Nova has tried different tricks in the past like a
non-priority feature freeze at the 2nd milestone, then we just work on
the priorities (agreed to at the design summit, when that was a thing)
in the 3rd milestone. We stopped doing that in Ocata because it was a
shorter cycle and because of other complications with that process, like
we'd spend a lot of time in the first milestone doing spec reviews and
design discussion, then rushing to get non-priority stuff done in the
second milestone, and then we'd be burned out by the third milestone to
actually focus on priorities - which is the opposite of what we should
be doing.

I feel like there is still the normal pressure to please everyone in
recent releases, that's never going to change, it's never going to be
"done", but I do feel like we make steady progress and get enough
non-priority things done at the same time.

I think we'll always have a kind of rush toward the end for the big
complicated things we're working on, because of unexpected things that
come up during implementation. That's part of the reason I think moving
the release out won't help with that unless we can be super disciplined
as a project about doing intermediate releases, even if we know people
aren't picking them up, just so that we have a goal/deadline to work
toward rather than say, "meh, we've got 9 months to crank this out, it
can wait."

Matt