[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 17:12:36 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > [...]
> > For me the first thing that comes to mind with this proposal, is how
> > would the milestones/FF/etc be arranged within that year? As I've raised
> > previously on this list [0], I would prefer more time for testing and
> > stabilisation between Feature Freeze and Release. I continue to think
> > that the unit testing our CI provides, is not a sufficient protection
> > against real world deployment issues. I think building in a useful
> > amount of time for functional testing, would be a huge benefit to both
> > the quality of upstream releases, and the timeliness of downstream
> releases.
>
> The release team did an example layout of what it could look like. We'd
> likely add a bit of time to the stabilisation period, and likely do
> feature freeze before the end-of-year holidays, allowing for a bit of
> relax period before we run the final release mile / enter the PTG prep
> tunnel.
>
> Having more time definitely opens up options :)
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

+1 on the idea of annual release.  In my opinion, the six month treadmill
has been taxing for a while and there hasn't been a good rhythm to things
the last year or so.  I don't think it would/should impact functionality
and velocity and the intermittent releases are a reasonable step towards
something like bug fix releases etc if a project wishes to go that route
(personally I think that would be a win).  I also think that the reality is
many of us can't afford to keep doing things the way we've been doing them
for the last few years.  I'm also not sure we're as productive as we used
to be with our scheduling or our face to face time.

If nothing else I think it's healthy and proactive to consider options like
this one and maybe even try it for a year.

Thaks,
John