[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Dec 13 16:45:14 UTC 2017

Hey

On 13 December 2017 at 16:17, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> self-imposed rhythm no longer matches our natural pace. It feels like we
> are always running elections, feature freeze is always just around the
> corner, we lose too much time to events, and generally the impression
> that there is less time to get things done. Milestones in the
> development cycles are mostly useless now as they fly past us too fast.
> A lot of other people reported that same feeling.

Strongly agree.

> In another thread, John Dickinson suggested that we move to one-year
> development cycles, and I've been thinking a lot about it. I now think
> it is actually the right way to reconcile our self-imposed rhythm with
> the current pace of development, and I would like us to consider
> switching to year-long development cycles for coordinated releases as
> soon as possible.

+1 (and +1 for starting with Rocky)

For me the first thing that comes to mind with this proposal, is how would
the milestones/FF/etc be arranged within that year? As I've raised
previously on this list [0], I would prefer more time for testing and
stabilisation between Feature Freeze and Release. I continue to think that
the unit testing our CI provides, is not a sufficient protection against
real world deployment issues. I think building in a useful amount of time
for functional testing, would be a huge benefit to both the quality of
upstream releases, and the timeliness of downstream releases.

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/116911.html

--
Cheers,

Chris