[openstack-dev] [keystone] multiple federated keystones with single Identity Provider

Boris Bobrov breton at cynicmansion.ru
Fri Dec 8 00:25:01 UTC 2017

Hi,

> On 12/07/2017 12:27 PM, Colleen Murphy wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
>> <pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have a following use case - several independent keystones (say KeyA and
>>> KeyB), using fernet tokens and synchronized fernet keys, and single external
>>> IdP for federated auth.
>>>
>>> Is it generally possible to configure both KeyA and KeyB such that scoped
>>> token issued by KeyA for a federated user is valid on KeyB?
>>>
>>> Currently we have the next problem - although domains/projects where
>>> keystone's mapping engine assigns federated users are equal by name between
>>> KeyA and KeyB, the UUIDs of projects/domains in KeyA and KeyB  are
>>> different, which seems to invalidate the scoped token issued by KeyA when
>>> trying to use it for KeyB. And it is not possible to create projects/domains
>>> with specific UUIDs via keystone API (which would probably solve this
>>> problem for non-autoprovisioned projects).
>>>
>>> Is such usage scenario supported? Or one should always use the unscoped
>>> token first to list projects/domains available on a specific keystone
>>> instance and then get a scoped token for usage o this instance only?
>> No, it is not currently possible to use the same token on projects in
>> different keystones, for the reasons you gave. You might be interested
>> in following https://review.openstack.org/#/c/323499/ if you're not
>> already aware of it, which has the goal of solving that problem.
>>
>> It's also been brought up before:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/403866/
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-December/108466.html
>>
>> And we talked about it a lot at the last Forum (sorry my brief summary
>> does not really do the discussion justice):
>>
>> http://www.gazlene.net/sydney-summit.html#keystone-operator-and-user-feedback
> I had a snippet about it in my recap under the "Other Feedback" section
> [0]. The TL;DR in my opinion is that we originally thought we could
> solve the problem with federation 100%, and if we couldn't we wanted to
> try and improve the parts of federation that would make that possible.
>
> The interesting bit we came up with during the feedback session in
> Sydney is what happens if a user no longer has a role on a project. For
> example;
>
> - A user has a role on Project A and in the us-east region and the
> us-west region, each region has it's own keystone deployment, but let's
> assume the ID for Project A are the same in each region
> - A user authenticates for a token scoped to Project A and starts
> creating instances in both regions
> - The user has their role from Project A removed in us-east, but not in
> us-west
> - The user isn't able to do anything within us-east since they no longer
> have a role assignment on Project A in that region, but they can still
> take the invalid token from the us-east region and effectively use it in
> [...]

There is also cache invalidation issue. And that would make tokens of
various scope behave in a different manner. A year ago i was -2 on this,
and i still don't think this is a good idea.

If there is a demand to control several clouds from single place,
K2K support should be added where it is needed.