[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Dec 7 17:22:47 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

A good meeting this week [5], with the discussion centered mostly on a spec for an API-schema guide [8]. The spec itself isn't quite fleshed out enough, so it wasn't entirely clear what problem this would be adressing. The spec's author, Gilles, will add additional information to the spec and we will re-review.

That brought up another issue: the current meeting time for the API-SIG is 1600UTC, which is not very convenient for APAC contributors. Gilles is in Australia, and so it was the middle of the night for him! As one of the goals for the API-SIG is to expand our audience and membership, edleafe committed to seeing if there is an available meeting slot at 2200UTC, which would be convenient for APAC, and still early enough for US people to attend. If an APAC-friendly meeting time would be good for you, please keep an eye out on the mailing list for an announcement if we are able to set that up, and then please attend and participate!

* The list of bugs [6] indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines [2] always need refreshing to account for changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit a patch [7] to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others [7].

# Newly Published Guidelines

None this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None this week

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and service discovery
  Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
  https://review.openstack.org/444892

* WIP: Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524467/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki page [4] and guidelines [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!