[openstack-dev] [nova] Boot from volume 's instance of rebuild operation

Jaze Lee jazeltq at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 06:14:24 UTC 2017

>>> See: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/520660/
>>>
>>> We just started disallowing rebuilding a volume-backed instance where the
>>> image changes during the rebuild. We don't support it in the compute
>>> service, as you've found out, so we're going to make it a fast failure in
>>> the API.
>>
>> Well, are there some reasons for you want to disallowing rebuilding a
>> volume-backend instance.
>> Just give the the review is not a convincing answer.
>>

> Rebuilding a volume-backed instance never worked. While the API
> currently accepts your request, nothing will happen. The instance
> won't be rebuilt as expected.
>
> There had been a couple of proposals/changes to add support:
> * https://review.openstack.org/#/c/442295/
> * https://review.openstack.org/#/c/305079/
>
> But technical challenges have been uncovered, making it harder to
> implement a proper solution.
>
> The change [1] linked by Matt Riedemann proposes failing rapidly so
> the user isn't under the false impression that a rebuild is being
> performed when in fact, nothing will happen.
>
> I do agree that being able to rebuild a volume-backed instance would
> be a great addition. We have been offering volume-backed instance for
> more than 4 years and our users love it.
> But for now, rebuild just doesn't work at all. It's better to send the
> right message through the API by failing fast.

Oh, I think it is not a proper solution. Adding a fast failure is much easier
than to support rebuilding of volume-backend instance.
I found the last reason to abandon the review at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/305079/
is because the design is not very clear and lack of bp.
So everyone who wants to add this feature to nova is welcome. Please go ahead.

> --
> Mathieu

谦谦君子