[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][cinder]about cinder volume usage

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Dec 4 13:53:35 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 04 2017, gordon chung wrote:

> On 2017-12-04 05:30 AM, Jaze Lee wrote:
>>      Right now,we can get volume from central pollester. Then i think
>> may be we can drop cinder volume usage.
>
> which metrics are you referring to? just for the record, except for
> libvirt stats, the polling done by ceilometer is against the API which
> may create additional load.

Which is usually a problem because of the APIs, not Ceilometer. They're
sometimes utterly slow for simple things and other times don't offer a
way to retrieve what Ceilometer needs in a batch-y way.

> in general, there's a preference that stats be pushed to ceilometer
> rather than pulled.

Yes, but for the wrong reasons. Having a component sending a batch of
notification every hour without any configuration knob and granularity
choice is a PITA for the users. Plus it ususally comes from a single
point (of failure?).

Ceilometer would do a better job than $project at getting this info, if
said project(s) would offer a proper and performant API to retrieve them
efficiently.

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker