[openstack-dev] [nova] Super fun unshelve image_ref bugs

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at calavera.ca
Fri Dec 1 19:25:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we can assert as follows:
>
> 2. If we're going to point the instance at an image_ref, we shouldn't delete
> that image. I don't have a good reason why besides deleting things which
> nova has a reference to in an active instance generally causes problems
> (volumes, ports, etc).

Not 100% related to your initial problem but...

Does it mean that you still shouldn't delete any images in Glance
until you are 100% sure that NO instances use them?
If you shouldn't ever delete an image, are there any plans to address
it in the future? Or is it a known "limitation" that people just have
to live with?
If you can delete an image used by one or more instances, how is
shelving affected or different? Should it not be affected?

--
Mathieu