[openstack-dev] [nova] Can we remove the monkey_patch_modules config option?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 19:14:23 UTC 2017

On 8/30/2017 1:16 PM, Lokesh Jain wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Thank you for pointing this out and bringing this to my attention.
>
> We are using the monkey_patch options to add more nova capabilities.
> Specifically we are using it to replace Nova’s
>
> nova/network/neutronv2/api.get_port_vnic_info
>
> function for extending the vnic type + phys network lookup for given
> neutron port id logic in case of multi-segments + multi phys network
> SRIOV deployments.
>
> We are using this functionality since Mitaka. I am assuming that the
> removal of nova parameters is proposed for Pike and onwards. Or is the
> plan to backport it to previous releases as well? In that case will
> need to figure out the plan for it.
>
> Please let me know if further information or clarification is required.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Lokesh Jain

The change to deprecate the monkey_patch and monkey_patch_modules option
was deprecated in Queens, so they wouldn't be removed until the Rocky
release at the earliest. We don't backport changes which deprecate things.

My recommendation to you is upstream your changes. If it's a new
feature, propose a blueprint [1].

Chances are someone else needs or wants the same thing, or is already
doing something similar but without the monkey patch config options.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/contributor/blueprints.html

Matt