[openstack-dev] [nova]notification update week 35

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Aug 28 15:52:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

After a couple of weeks of silence here is the status update / focus
settings mail for w35.

Bugs
----

As there was no critical bug for Pike in the notification area there
was not much progress in the bugs below.

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1696152 nova notifications
use nova-api as binary name instead of nova-osapi_compute
Agreed not to change the binary name in the notifications. Instead we
make an enum for that name to show that the name is intentional.
The patch was split to two parts:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/487126 rename binary to source in
versioned notifications
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476538 Use enum value instead of
string service name
While I was preparing this mail both patches has been approved.

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1699115 api.fault
notification is never emitted
Still no response on the ML thread about the way forward.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118639.html

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1706563
TestRPC.test_cleanup_notifier_null fails with timeout
[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1685333 Fatal Python error:
Cannot recover from stack overflow. - in py35 unit test job
The first bug is just a duplicate of the second. It seems the TetRPC
test suite has a way to end up in an infinite recusion.
I don't know about a way to reproduce it localy or to change the gate
env so that python prints out the full stack trace to see where the
problematic call is. Also adding extra log messages won't help as a
timed out test doesn't have the log messages printed to the logs. So
this bug is pretty stuck.

[Undecided] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1700496 Notifications
are emitted per-cell instead of globally
Devstack config has already been modified so notifications are emitted
to the top level MQ. It seems that only a nova cells doc update is
needed that tells the admin how to configure the transport_url for the
not
ifications.

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
BP for Queens are approved, some patch was already re-proposed to the
new BP. I think we have to start reviewing those soon.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/versioned-notification-transformation-queens

Searchlight integration
-----------------------
I opened a follow up bp for Queens:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight-queens
I left it in drafting state as I expect the Searchlight team to come
back with some feedback and / or extra needs. I pinged the Searchlight
folks on IRC to get some feedback on this BP.

Small improvements
------------------

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428199/ Improve assertJsonEqual
error reporting. This is on the gate now. :)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples
Factor out duplicated notification sample data
This is a start of a longer patch series to deduplicate notification
sample data. The third patch already shows how much sample data can be
deleted from nova tree. We added a minimal hand rolled json ref
implementation to notification sample test as the existing python json
ref implementations are not well maintained.
I will rebase the series and resolve the merge conflicts then I will
ask for feedback about the validity of the current direction.

Weekly meeting
After a long pause let's have a short subteam meeting at the usual
place and time:
Tuesday 17:00 UTC on openstack-meeting-4.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170829T170000

Cheers,
gibi