[openstack-dev] [tripleo] mismatch of user/group id between ovs (baremetal) and libvirt (container)

Oliver Walsh owalsh at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 11:12:20 UTC 2017

On 23 August 2017 at 07:18, Saravanan KR <skramaja at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Oliver Walsh <owalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>>   sed -i 's/Group=qemu/Group=42427/'
>>> /usr/lib/systemd/system/ovs-vswitchd.service
>>
>> Can't this be overridden via /etc/systemd/system/ovs-vswitchd.service?
>>
> Yes. I just provided the changes done on a existing deployment to make
> it work. I will incorporate it to templates.
>
>>> This change basically runs ovs with group id of kolla's qemu user
>>> (42427). For the solution, my opinion is that we don't require host's
>>> qemu (107) user in a containerized deployment. I am planning to ensure
>>> that kolla's user id (42427) is updated to the host via the host prep
>>> tasks. Let me know if there is any other aspects to be considered.
>>>

>> Might be worth considering overriding the qemu uid/gid to 107 in the
>> kolla config file instead.
>
> Definitely it will be good for upgrade to keep the same uid/gid so
> that existing DPDK based VMs continue to work after upgrade.
>
> But any other specific reasons for sticking with same qemu uid/gid in
> kolla containers? Do you foresee any particular cases related to it?

I don't expect it would cause any issues.

Many of the uids/gids created during rpm installs are dynamic so they
could vary depending on the order that uids are created. This could
result in inconsistent uids/gids across the docker images.
I assume this is the reason that kolla is setting the uids/gids in the
base image - the numeric values are not significant, they just need to
be consistent.

Thanks,
Ollie