[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Aug 24 16:54:57 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

Two main topics this week: Getting ready for the PTG and speculating about standards for representing singular resources in an HTTP response.

The API-SIG will have a room on Monday and Tuesday at the PTG. In addition to the guided review process [6] we've mentioned before, there's an etherpad [5] where an agenda of potential topics is being built. We'll likely be sharing some of the time with people interested in SDKs and other issues related to consuming APIs. If there are gaps we will strenuously but politely argue about strong types in HTTP APIs and the subtle nature of microversions.

The discussion about singular resources relates to a placeholder bug [7] for a guideline that we need to write. There are at least two different styles in use within OpenStack already, neither of which align with some emerging standards. The bug links to some of the discussion. Please feel free to provide your opinion if you have one.

# Newly Published Guidelines

None this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None this week

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Explain, simply, why extensions are bad
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491611/

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and service discovery
   Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
   https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!