[openstack-dev] [release][ptl] tools for creating new releases

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 21 15:21:59 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2017-08-15 14:11:05 +0200:
> On 08/08/2017 03:30 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > We realized recently that we haven't publicized some of the tools
> > in the releases repository very well. One tool that will be useful
> > this week as you prepare your release candidates is the 'new-release'
> > command, which edits a deliverable file to add a new release from
> > HEAD of the given branch, automatically computing the next verison
> > number based on the inputs.
> >
> > Use the ``venv`` tox environment to run the tool, like this:
> >
> >     $ tox -e venv -- new-release SERIES DELIVERABLE TYPE
> >
> > The SERIES value should be the release series, such as "pike".
> >
> > The DELIVERABLE value should be the deliverable name, such as
> > "oslo.config" or "cinder".
> >
> > The TYPE value should be one of "bugfix", "feature", "major",
> > "milestone", or "rc".
> >
> > If the most recent release of cinder during the pike series is
> > 11.0.0.0b3 then running:
> >
> >     $ tox -e venv -- new-release pike cinder rc
>
> On systems with Python 3 by default this fails on installing lazr.restfulclient.
> I think we should add
>
>   basepython = python2
>
> for now.

We should definitely address that. We need lazr.restfulclient to
talk to Launchpad, and we need that in the release scripts in
release-tools but I don't think we need it in the releases repo. Maybe
we can remove the dependency, or set it up so it is only installed when
python 2 is used?

Happy-to-review-patches-ly,
Doug