[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 32

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Aug 18 12:21:33 UTC 2017

Placement Update 32

# Meta

To avoid noise that nobody seems to care about, I've taken the liberty
of not making reference here to reviews that have received no
attention for more than a month. As we all have understandably limited
attention, that seems to be the best. I do keep track of new bugs and
new fixes, so this shouldn't lead to too much stuff getting lost in the
wilderness.

# What Matters Most

rc2 is in progress. There continue to be bugs found here and there,
mostly with handling of allocations in corner cases. A new one is with
forced live migration, found just this morning. A bug is coming, but
in the meantime there's code that demonstrates it:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/495170/

So at this point important things to be doing are the same as last
week:

* watching for new bugs tagged placement, scheduler or resource-tracker
* inspecting the logs of tempest runs (even those that have passed)
    for unexpected log messages related to managing inventory or
    allocations
* using the code, especially to do things like resize, migrate,
    evacuate, etc
* reviewing code

Plus preparing for the PTG. See the link to the etherpad in help
wanted below.

# What's Changed

This week has been finding and fixing bugs. Bugs have been found and
fixed.

The api-ref is published!
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/placement/

# Help Wanted

See the beginning of this message.

Also, there's a swathe of placement related stuff on the PTG planning
etherpad. Please add to that or make some adjustments if you think
something is missing or incomplete:

     https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-queens

An important aspect of this is determining what kind of dependency
tree is involved with the work.

# Main Themes

## Custom Resource Classes for Ironic

It took a lot of fiddling but ironic's handling of custom resource
classes is now merged, with some caveats that had to be mentioned in
the reno.

    https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/unreleased.html#deprecation-notes

## Traits

Work continues apace on getting filtering by traits working:

      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/489206/

This has some overlap with shared provider handling (below).

## Shared Resource Providers

There's some support for shared resource providers on the placement
side of the scheduling equation, but the resource tracker is not yet
ready to support it. There is some work in progress, starting with
functional tests:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/490733/

## Nested Resource Providers

This will start back up after we clean off the windscreen. The stack
begins at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/470575/5

## Docs

Henceforth if you add a new URL+method combination to placement (by
adding to ROUTE_DECLARATIONS) the docs job will fail unless you add
documentation. You _must_ document the new functionality to continue.

# Other Code

Some of the stuff below is bug fixes, created in pike, that never got
much attention, so potentially will not make it into pike now that
we're effectively in queens. It would be great if we could clear these
off the board before we get started on other major stuff, so they
aren't lingering, unloved and lonely in the corner.

* Reset client when placement endpoint not found
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/493536/
   (This may be a backport candidate)

* Update allocation spec for alternates
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471927/

* functional tests for live migrate
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/493865/

* Allow shuffling of best weighted hosts
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/494136/

* tests for resource allocation during soft delete
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/495159/

* WIP: resize with custom resource
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/490461/

* replace chance with filter scheduler in func tests
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491529/

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427200/
   Add a status check for legacy filters in nova-status.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469048/
   Provide more information about installing placement

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468928/
   Disambiguate resource provider conflict message

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/485209/
   gabbi tests for shared custom resource class

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/489633/
   Update RT aggregates less often

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492247/
   Use ksa adapter for placement in the new way

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/483506/
   Call _update fewer times in the resource tracker
   I'm relatively certain we can't do this one because of the way the
   code is structured.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468797/
   Spec for requesting traits in flavors

--