[openstack-dev] [qa] [keystone] Random Patrole failures related to Identity v3 Extensions API

Felipe Monteiro felipe.carneiro.monteiro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:44:45 UTC 2017

Patrole tests occasionally fail while executing tests that test the
Identity v3 Extensions API [0]. Previously, this was not the case when
we used Fernet tokens and used a time.sleep(1) to allow for
role-switching to work correctly. However, we recently changed over to
UUID tokens in the Patrole gates to avoid doing a time.sleep(1), as a
time efficiency change. Ordinarily -- for well over 500 or so tests --
this approach works successfully, with the exception of what appears
to be *random* v3 API extension tests [1][2] (random means different
tests pass or fail randomly across separate test runs).

While there are a few solutions that come to mind on how to solve this
Patrole-side (like re-introducing a time.sleep() for specific APIs or
even avoiding role-switching altogether which is not as
straightforward as it sounds), we would still not understand *why* the
issue is happening in the first place. Is it a data-race condition?
Something specific to the identity v3 extensions API? A potential bug
or intended behavior somewhere?

[0] https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/identity/v3-ext/
[1] http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/#/test/patrole_tempest_plugin.tests.api.identity.v3.test_ep_filter_groups_rbac.EndpointFilterGroupsV3RbacTest.test_create_endpoint_group
[2] http://logs.openstack.org/41/490641/3/gate/gate-tempest-dsvm-patrole-py35-member-ubuntu-xenial/be95da4/console.html#_2017-08-11_14_47_57_515906