[openstack-dev] [nova][docs] O search where art thou?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Aug 11 15:08:38 UTC 2017

On 08/11/2017 10:49 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>> On 08/11/2017 08:50 AM, Anne Gentle | Just Write Click wrote:
>>> Yeah, I need to circle back in the theme work to make sure both search scopes are available. My prior attempt had some wonky CSS debugging and I needed to separate patches more.
>>>
>>> I'll put up another patch to the theme today to bring in the Sphinx search in the sidebar as it was before.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to solve the sort problem Sean notes, would like help there.
>>> Hope this helps -
>>> Anne
>>
>> If we have the option to use sphinx baked in search, instead of the
>> bounce out to google swift_search that's being installed, it's all
>> solved. The sphinx search builds the search terms into a compiled
>> javascript file on build, and will only link to content in the tree.
>>
>> I think the thing to do is probably enhance openstackdocstheme to have
>> some toggle of "local_search = True" which would get rid of swift_search
>> and just use baked in local search. Then on a per site basic people
>> could turn it on / off, and openstackdocstheme could still be used for
>> sites that want global search.
>
> The global search will always be available in the header, so my idea
> is to add the scoped-to-project's-collection search to the sidebar.
> Let me know if that works and I'll get going on it.

The sidebar would be good. I still think it's a little confusing to have
2 different search fields, but maybe if "Search" in the toolbar was
"Search all of OpenStack", and the sidebar was more clearly "Search
$project Docs", it would be more clear.

The big technical bit is actually the openstackdocstheme replaced
search.html with a form that uses swift_search. I was hacking on this
this morning and it seems that in able to get that back to something
that works with built in search is going to need to redo that page, and
also add the ability to inject script_footers (as all the javascript is
late loaded in openstackdocstheme).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague