[openstack-dev] [all][interop][heat][designate] Proposed updates to OpenStack Powered trademarks: extensions and verticals

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Thu Aug 10 21:47:05 UTC 2017

At the upcoming board meeting in September, the Interop Working Group
will be proposing a new trademark program to supplement the OpenStack
Powered mark. This update formally defines two distinct types of programs.

1) Platforms. This captures the three existing trademarks, OpenStack
Powered Compute, OpenStack Powered Storage, and OpenStack Powered
Platform. A platform can be thought of as a complete collection of
OpenStack software to give a core set of functionality. For example,
OpenStack Powered Storage provides Swift Object Storage and Horizon
Identity. Compute offers Nova, Horizon, Glance, Cinder and Neutron.

We are generalizing the idea of platforms to be able to capture other
verticals within the OpenStack ecosystem. For example, we are currently
working with NFV leaders to potentially build out an OpenStack Powered
NFV guideline that could be used in a future trademark program.

2) Extensions. This captures projects that provide additional
functionality to platforms, but require certain core services to be
available.  The intent is for an OpenStack Powered cloud to be able to
advertise interoperable capabilities that would be nice for users to
have but aren't strictly required for general interoperability. The
first two extensions we are focusing on are Heat Orchestration and
Designate DNS. If a public cloud were offering the Designate API,
they could qualify to present themselves as "OpenStack Powered Platform
with DNS".

We are seeking advisory status from the board at the September board
meeting, with a goal to launch the new extension programs after the
January board meeting. The Interop Working Group would also like to
work with the TC on encouraging more projects to adopt the Interop
Working Group schema to define what public-facing interfaces and code
should be present for a deployed instance of that project to qualify
as interoperable.

If you would like to see the new extension programs, I have reviews
up for both Heat and Designate.

Heat: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/490648/
Designate: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492635/

The new interop guideline schema format is also ready to be presented
to the board:

2.0 schema documentation:
  https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/interop/tree/doc/source/schema/2.0.rst
2.0 schema example:
  https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/interop/tree/doc/source/schema/next.2.0.json

The review for the 2.0 schema (merged):
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/430556/

If you are the PTL of a project that would like to be considered for an
extension trademark program, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or
any other member of the Interop Working Group.

We're pretty excited about how we're planning on extending the trademark
program next year, and are looking forward to working with the developer
community to help guarantee the interoperability of OpenStack clouds
through testing and trademark compliance.

Thanks!

Chris Hoge
Interop Engineer
OpenStack Foundation