[openstack-dev] [all][barbican][freezer][horizon][karbor][keystone][mistral][nova][pack-deb][refstack][solum][storlets][swift][tacker][telemetry][watcher][zaqar] Last days for PTL candidate announcements

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Aug 10 18:04:21 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-07 03:50 PM, Kendall Nelson wrote:
> Hello Everyone :)
>
> A quick reminder that we are in the last days for PTL candidate
> announcements.
>
> If you want to stand for PTL, don't delay, follow the instructions at [1]
> to make sure the community knows your intentions.
>
> Make sure your candidacy has been submitted to the openstack/election
> repository and approved by election officials.
>
> Election statistics[2]:
>
> This means that with approximately 2.5 days left more than 27% of projects
> will be deemed leaderless.  In this case the TC will be bound by [3].

I thought that the language in this sentence, that the TC is bound by
the referenced resolution was a bit of mis-stating the relationship, but
I thought I would let it pass and that things would work themselves out.
However having read the language in Emmett's post to the TC reporting
which programs don't have a self-nominated PTL, I'm motivated to clarify.

The TC is not bound. The TC has agreed to follow a process. The election
officials are bound, in as much as they are obliged to communicate the
list of leaderless programs to the TC without delay. The TC is enabled
by the process, not bound by it.

The TC CAN appoint a leader, they are not obliged to appoint a leader.
The TC may do other things as well, it depends on the circumstances.

Also to clarify, the election officials serve the TC, not the other way
around.

I'm not sure how this relationship got confused, if I played a role in
creating the confusion, I apologize.

Thank you,
Anita.