[openstack-dev] [docs] importing openstack-manuals questions, looking for strategies

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Aug 9 13:38:48 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2017-08-09 09:24:07 -0400:
> On 08/09/2017 09:19 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2017-08-08 17:01:29 -0400:
> >> When trying to import
> >> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/6f9fc171800e8a435011f38cd4558e900884ce86/doc/config-reference/source/compute/hypervisor-vmware.rst#L2
> >> into the Nova admin config reference
> >> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491853), a couple of interesting
> >> challenges popped up. These pop up in a couple of other places, but this
> >> one file nicely contains both of them.
> >>
> >> The first is the common autogenerated files (like
> >> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/6f9fc171800e8a435011f38cd4558e900884ce86/doc/config-reference/source/tables/nova-vmware.rst#L11).
> >> To the best of my knowledge we don't have that autogeneration tooling in
> >> the projects. Should we just be copy/pasting this content in? Is there
> >> another better strategy there?
> >
> > oslo.config does have an extension for generating a table-format
> > list of all of the configuration options, and the idea is to replace
> > those included tables with the 'show-options' directive. It uses
> > the same inputs as the sample file generator. See
> > https://docs.openstack.org/oslo.config/latest/reference/sphinxext.html for
> > details
>
> So in this case we could:
>
> .. show-options::
>
>    oslo.vmware
>

> And that would have the same impact?
>
>     -Sean

The option namespaces are based on plugins, not python packages.
We do often name them the same for easy reference, but some packages
use multiple plugins tied to different list_opts functions. I'm not
sure where those options are defined.

The oslo.vmware library doesn't seem to export any plugins for the
config generator, probably because it doesn't use oslo.config at
all.

I see some configuration options defined in the os-win library, but
I don't know if those match the table you're referring to. That
library does not export an entry point for discovering the options,
so unfortunately it won't work with the config generator or sphinx
extension. If the options you're looking for are in that library, for
Pike you'll need to import the static table.

Doug