[openstack-dev] [docs] importing openstack-manuals questions, looking for strategies

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Aug 8 21:01:29 UTC 2017

When trying to import
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/6f9fc171800e8a435011f38cd4558e900884ce86/doc/config-reference/source/compute/hypervisor-vmware.rst#L2
into the Nova admin config reference
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491853), a couple of interesting
challenges popped up. These pop up in a couple of other places, but this
one file nicely contains both of them.

The first is the common autogenerated files (like
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/6f9fc171800e8a435011f38cd4558e900884ce86/doc/config-reference/source/tables/nova-vmware.rst#L11).
To the best of my knowledge we don't have that autogeneration tooling in
the projects. Should we just be copy/pasting this content in? Is there
another better strategy there?

The second is cross references that don't yet exist. In this case -
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/6f9fc171800e8a435011f38cd4558e900884ce86/doc/config-reference/source/compute/hypervisor-vmware.rst#L981.
Which is :ref:`block_storage_vmdk_driver`, that would be in the cinder
manual, but does not seem to yet be there. I'm not sure what the best
strategy is here. Just a TODO to find the right cinder ref once it shows up?

If anyone has thoughts on the best resolutions here, that would be great.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net