[openstack-dev] [python-openstackclient][python-openstacksdk][neutron][nova] supporting resource extensions with our CLI

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 14:12:33 UTC 2017

> On 8/7/17 10:39 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> If the thing you're doing doesn't fit in the mainline API, then what
>> you're doing is making a new API. Extensions just bypass the important
>> part where that API gets designed and thought through.
>
> Irrespective of opinions as to if API extensions are good or not, the
> fact of the matter is we support them in neutron today and as a result
> we have users that rely on them as well as the ability to interface
> (CLI) with such extensions via python-neutronclient. That said, I think
> this concern has been heard [1] and we will work to address it
> short-to-mid term.

I totally agree with other comments that all API features should be upstreamed.

Replying to Boden's question on the short-term solution.
If you need CLI support, you can implement OSC plugin to support your
API extensions
rather than extending OSC or OSC plugin provided by python-neutronclient.
If you need SDK support, you can provide your own python bindings
(perhaps it will be most stable)
or continue to use the python-neutronclient CLI extension mechanism
(which extends methods
based on "neutronclient.extension" entry points.

Does it answer to you, Boden?

Akihiro