[openstack-dev] [docs] Updating the docs team mission statement

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Aug 8 12:11:25 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-08-08 12:28:58 +0200:
> Petr Kovar wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > With the core docs suite moving from openstack-manuals to individual
> > project repos as per
> > http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/pike/os-manuals-migration.html,
> > it's also time to update the docs team mission statement from
> > https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/projects/documentation.html.
> >
> > What are everybody's thoughts on what should the new mission statement
> > say now that most OpenStack docs maintenance is in the hands of project
> > teams?
> >
> > One idea is for the docs team to act as a focused group of editors and
> > maintain a common set of guidelines, recommended practices (style
> > guidelines come to mind, for instance), and requirements (such as a common
> > docs and publishing structure shared across projects).
>
> I would say something like:
>
> The docs team provides guidance, assistance, tooling, and style guides
> enabling OpenStack project teams to produce consistent, accurate, and
> high-quality documentation.

Thanks for starting this thread, Petr.

To make it easier to compare, here's the current mission statement:

  Provide documentation for core OpenStack projects to promote
  OpenStack.  Develop and maintain tools and processes to ensure
  quality, accurate documentation. Treat documentation like OpenStack
  code.

Thierry's suggestion highlights some of the changes I see coming
for the docs team. I would like to hear from some of the other team
members about what they think about that.

Doug