[openstack-dev] [mistral][heat][tripleo][trove][murano][solum][tacker] Releasing python-mistralclient 3.1.2

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 09:11:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

We recently sent a patch [1] to release the version 3.1.2 of python-mistralclient out of Pike branch. It was done after the date of final client library releases so we’d like to discuss if we can allow such an exception. All the projects mentioned in the subject may be affected so please share if the change is acceptable for you or not. Details are below.

When using Mistral CLI in real deployments we found that some of the list commands may be extremely heavy (mostly memory footprint) when called w/o the “limit” parameter that constrains the result set by the specified value. For example, “mistral execution-list”, “mistral task-list” and “mistral action-execution-list”. We saw a number of times that machines went out of memory after running such a command, sometimes it was done by mistake by operators. So we decided to set a default value for this parameter, which is currently 100, to prevent from unintentional execution of such heavy commands. The corresponding patch [2] was sent on July 11 and was included in the release 3.1.1. For “action-execution-list”, before this patch “limit" parameter didn’t exist at all so we added it too. However, the change wasn’t made properly so that “limit” parameter was just ignored at all times. We fixed that in [3] and decided to release 3.1.2.

So long story short, this change will affect your project only if you use “mistral action-execution-list” CLI command because now this command will be returning by default only 100 entries (to return all “--limit=-1” needs to be passed).

We at Nokia need this fix released in Pike because we need to trigger updates of RDO packages used in our system.

The question: can we afford to make this release now?

More details on requirements updates etc. you can see in the discussion in [1].

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491269
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476110/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/489217/

Thanks