[openstack-dev] [keystone][api] Backwards incompatible changes based on config

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Aug 7 08:54:51 UTC 2017

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017, Lance Bragstad wrote:
> On 08/04/2017 03:45 PM, Kristi Nikolla wrote:
>> Therefore the call which now returns a 403 in master, returned a 2xx in
>> Ocata. So we would be fixing something which is broken on master rather
>> than changing a ‘contract’.
>
> Good call - with that in mind I would be inclined to say we should fix
> the issue in Pike that way we keep the 204 -> 204 behavior the same
> across releases. But I'll defer to someone from the API WG just to make
> sure.

I think that's fair. Given that you're not doing microversions and
you aren't inclined to commit to CD, it's a pragmatic solution to
mis-functionality that was introduced between code releases.

It also sounds like an edge case where it's very unlikely that
there's extant client code that is relying on that 403 to make
decisions on next steps.

The interop guideline is intentionally very strict and detailed, to
make it clear how much you need to think about to really do it well,
but in many cases should be considered as a tool for evaluating the
extent of the damage a change might cause, not the law.

Especially if you haven't got microversions available.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/