[openstack-dev] [keystone][api] Backwards incompatible changes based on config

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Sat Aug 5 00:29:56 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 03:44:32PM -0700, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>
> Any idea of who are these deployers? I think I knew once who they might have
> been but I'm not really sure anymore. Are they still doing this (and can
> afford doing it)? Why don't we hear more about them? I'd expect that
> deployers (and there associated developer army) that are trying to do this
> would be the *most* active in IRC and in the mailing list yet I don't really
> see any such activity (which either means we never break them, which seems
> highly unlikely, or that they don't communicate through the normal channels,
> ie they go through some vendor, or that they just flat out don't exist
> anymore).
>
> I'd personally really like to know how they do it (especially if they do not
> have an associated developer army)... Because they have always been a pink
> elephant that I've heard exists 'somewhere' and they manage to make this all
> work 'somehow'.
>
> -Josh

I am curious too. I've been bothered by some of the compromised we've had to
make based on some people claiming CD from master is a "core tenet from the
beginning of OpenStack". But I have yet to find anywhere that we've stated
that we will commit to making continuous deployment from master a) possible,
and b) supported.

I would like us to either clearly declare that that type of deployment is
possible and expected and that the community agrees to support it, or that
it is possible for folks to try, but it will be on them if things don't work
out the way the had hoped.

Like I mentioned, we've made compromises based on this assertion, and I really
don't like that we've sacrificed good design and quality in order to support
a scenario that, as far as I've seen, 90+% of users and deployers would run
screaming from.

Sean