[openstack-dev] [ffe][release][requirements][tripleo] FFE for python-paunch-1.5.0

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Aug 4 01:04:40 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 11:41:21AM +1200, Steve Baker wrote:
> Adding a subject ^^
>
> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to request a Feature Freeze Exemption (FFE) for the upper
> > > constraints of the python-paunch library/tool in Pike.
> > >
> > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/490287/
> > >
> > > TripleO recently switched from using paunch as a library via heat-agents
> > > using the paunch CLI tool directly using ansible. This lead to a high
> > impact
> > > regression bug [1] where failed operations don't raise an error, fixed by
> > > [2]. This leads to false positives in TripleO CI, and later deployment
> > > failures which are more difficult to debug.
> > >
> > > Release 1.5.0 contains a fix for this. It also contains the new "paunch
> > > debug" command[3] which makes developing and debugging containers in
> > TripleO
> > > much easier. This feature has a low risk of causing regressions in
> > paunch's
> > > core function and is also desirable for the Pike release.
> >
> > +1 from me.
> >
> > > [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/paunch/+bug/1707997
> > > [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/489722/
> > > [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476654/

So the only user in OpenStack is heat-agents and that isn't affected by
the cli bug that has been fixed because it uses it as a library.  As
such we don't need a global-requirements bump (and re-release of
heat-agents)

heat-agents doesn't use constraints so it's already using 1.5.0.

So the upper-constraints bump is a no-op for OpenStack hosted projects.

With that in mind it's a very low risk operation to grant the FFE.

The only reason we want this in u-c is because RDO uses u-c and until
this lands there it's broken?

Yours Tony.