[openstack-dev] [all][ptl][stable][release] stable/pike branches created for most libraries

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Aug 3 23:36:41 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 07:22:15PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> OK, I see. I was assuming we would just tie it to series name, and
> that series name could be taken from the .gitreview file or something.
> So the URL calculation would always be done locally, and we wouldn't
> need any sort of redirects.

If that works then so much better.  I thought we couldn't use that as
.gitreview isn't part of an sdist but then again neither is tox.ini and
at the point we're dealing with an sdist then the admin/user/installer
will have had to pass the constraints URL (or not) so it isn't our
problem.

Perhaps all the dynamic stuff is just over-engineering and we can just
do the url calculation locally.

> We still need some sort of wrapper for pip, because you're right I
> don't think we can use $() syntax to set the variable in tox.ini.
> Unless maybe we can do some of this with a tox plugin/extension?
> But it seems better to do it by putting a script or something in
> the repo, so a user has fewer things to install to run the tests.

<snip>

> Which things do we have that don't use the releases repo but do use
> constraints?

I don't know of any right now, and I'm struggling to come up with a good
way to check.  I was mostly pointing out a scenario that would fail in
that scheme in the hopes that someone could say "Oh that isn't problem
just do $x"  or "Yup that's a deal breaker"

Tony.